Preheat oven to 425°F
1. Measure flour and salt into a small bowl.
2. In a glass measuring cup, measure the sugar and warm water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle the yeast on top, stir once and let sit until foamy.
3. In a medium bowl, pour in yeast mixture and add the oil. Using a wooden spoon, stir in half of the flour mixture. Slowly add the rest until the dough forms a ball.
4. Sprinkle some flour on your clean counter and knead the dough 8-10 times or until smooth and no longer sticky. Coat with 2ml of oil and cover with a towel for 10 mins while you prepare your sauce.
5. The dough should have increased in size after ten mins. Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll each one out into a 15cm circle and let them sit on the counter while you continue to prepare your filling.
Savoury (tomato sauce and cheese)
250 ml (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 onion (in sauce or in Calzone as filling)
1 clove garlic
100ml tomato sauce
60ml diced tomatoes
15ml tomato pasre
5ml parmesan cheese
1ml basil, oregano, parsley, pepper & salt. (other options/substitutions: garlic powder,thyme rosemary, cayenne,chili powder)
1. In a small pot, heat up 10ml of oil. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 min on med-high heat.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low-med heat for 10 min or until flavours are blended.
3. Allow to cool before adding to dough.
125 - 250ml water
15ml corn starch
5ml lemon juice
60ml white vinegar
pinch of salt
1. Peel and chop two apples; sprinkle with lemon juice and mix well. (the lemon juice will prevent the apple from turning brown)
2. Place water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Once the mixture boils, let it continue to boil for another two minutes, Add the apples, turn to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring often, until apples are softened, about 5-8 minutes.
Putting the Calzone together:
1. Place 15ml (1 tbsp) of filling in the center of each circle (DO NOT SPREAD TO THE OUTER EDGE!)
a. Sprinkle 5ml parmesan cheese over the tomato sauce.
b. Divide the mozzarella cheese between the four calzones and sprinkle over the sauce.
3. Fold the circle of dough over the filling and seal the edge by twisting and crimping. Seal it well so the filling does NOT leak out.
4. Brush top of calzone lightly with oil.
5. Place on cookie sheet and bake for ~15 minutes or until golden brown on top.