Front Page News

Stuck in the Middle: Who Says You Can’t Go Home!

Picture of Kal Russell
by Kal Russell - Friday, 20 January 2017, 10:08 AM

We spend so much time at school as staff and students that it often feels like our second home. For me, this is my second family and I feel extremely fortunate to have a place to go to work daily that feels welcoming, friendly and engaging.

I know that this is not the case in all schools, but I honestly feel that it is true at NSMS.  That being said all our staff and students work at making it feel that way.  One thing we do every week to build this sense of community is our Monday assemblies.  It is our time to gather, reconnect with each other and share before we head off on our busy week.

At this week's assembly, we had a couple of ex-NSMS students return to perform a scene from the upcoming Parkland Musical Theatre production Guys and Dolls.  (Feb. 1-4 at 7:00 PM at the Parkland Theatre).  I always enjoy having past students return to school.  When they walk in I am always surprised at how quickly they mature.  I especially notice this when they tower over me like one of our former students did this week (now that alone is a good reminder to treat kids with respect.)  Besides looking physically older I am always impressed with how poised these young people are and how they are genuinely pleased to be back at North Saanich.  

The performance at the assembly was fantastic.  Our former students sang their duet with the confidence of seasoned broadway performers, and the NSMS audience gave them a heartfelt applause, while their past teachers beamed with pride.  

Our students seem to grow up so quickly and move along to secondary school.  When they return it is not only nice to see them, but it is a good reminder for us to enjoy spending time with our current students.  They too will be heading off to secondary school before we know it.  It is also important for us to remember to invite past students back.  As we say at NSMS, “Once a Hawk; Always a Hawk!”  Or as Bon Jovi would say, “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.”    

Go Hawks!

Bob Jovi’s - Who Says You Can’t Go Home -

PS - NSMS Staff that attended North Saanich Middle School a few years ago as students.

Mr. Chambers

Ms. McNee