HEAD LICE AWARENESS
Head lice are common in BC communities. Although they are a bother, head lice are not a health risk.
Head lice spread quickly by close, head-to-head contact. Lice cannot live on furniture or carpet, and they cannot jump or fly. There may be few or no symptoms, but itching may occur.
You can help by:
* Checking your child’s head with the wet-combing method of detection once a week throughout the school year.
* Review the pamphlet Wet Combing – How to Get Rid of Head Lice, available online, at your school and Public Health Unit.
* Encouraging your child to wear their hair tied back
* Treating if you notice live lice on your child’s head.
* Reminding family and friends about the importance of routine head checks.
For more information: