Front Page News

Stuck in the Middle - My Last Post as Principal of NSMS

Picture of Kal Russell
Stuck in the Middle - My Last Post as Principal of NSMS
by Kal Russell - Sunday, 27 June 2021, 6:45 PM

Stuck in the Middle: North Saanich - This is Your Song!

One of the greatest things about being an educator is that you get to make strong connections with your students, staff and parents.  I often say that North Saanich staff feels like my second home, and it is true.  I spend more time at school working with these great kids and staff than anywhere else, which makes leaving all that much harder.  

This week was my last full week at North Saanich Middle School.  I have been sitting at this desk for nine years. Not many people can say that Middle School was nine of the best years of their lives.  

This week the students have been great.  I have signed yearbooks and wished many a happy summer holiday, but I will get to keep working with most of them over the next couple of years at Parkland Secondary School.  This pleases me!

The parents, through the PAC, presented me with a thoughtful picture highlighting that they have appreciated being "Stuck in the Middle" with me.  I am thankful for their support over the years and pleased that they actually read my "Stuck in the Middle".  Let’s be honest, nobody wants to read a story by the principal.  My message to parents should probably be a Tik Tok. 

The staff have been great.  They have been trying to do all my work for me my last few weeks, which has been touching.  Their kindness in their words has been greatly appreciated, even when they were roasting me at the staff function.  We are so fortunate to have such a great staff at NSMS, and I know the school is in great hands with them and Mr. Mark.    

Over the years, I have used this platform to share stories that made me laugh, smile and appreciate being a middle school principal.  So this is my last Stuck in the Middle.  I have used popular music and pop culture to bring some context and connection to my stories, so I will end the same way by using some of the words of the great Elton John.  

North Saanich, you can tell everybody this is your song

it may be quite simple, but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life has been while you were in my world.

At North Saanich Middle School, I have grown as an educator and person.  Middle School is all about growing as a person both intellectually and emotionally.  We all learn at our own pace and time.  It just took me longer than most to get what I needed from middle school.  Thank you all!

Once a Hawk, Always a Hawk!

DnAvRot7Lg5A0TD9bxlCIHtdAROKoKr_Y1oVbpd96PJeBo4kAWIQlUYl_NZeKXrBUu1wgojGpsxfFTpLFVZ1-qdWYqQ_t-M9v7efagu9oc60QwDnqWmt97T_iD_z8QEoTDijv7r-