What's Up with Div 9:
We started today with some time for Flex Block - this is an opportunity for students to choose something that they would like to learn more about. Projects can and will look different for all involved. Please ask your kids what they are planning to learn about - they have some great ideas! We finished the day with a presentation of the Jellyfish Project - learning about how to protect the oceans and the environment. Hopefully most were inspired!
The focus this week is on getting back into some routines. Many students need to finish up some of their To Do lists from last week. This should be happening at home or students are welcome to come in before school or at lunch time to work. I am available for support each morning and during lunch. Please let me know if you have any questions about how you can be supporting your child at home.
This week's Team Awesome: Gabby, Caleb, Sumiko, Olivia, Danielle, Jackson, Kate, Aidan, and Rowan G.
This week's To Do list: (due Monday Feb 27)
- BOM Week 3: Read 3/4 of your book and finish the question on-line for week 3. This is a summary of what your book is about - be sure to use specific details from the story to explain.
- Skill Builders: #17 and corrections from #16
- Writing: we will writing a practice paragraph tomorrow in class.
- Permission forms went home today for a trip to the climbing wall next Tuesday.
- Pink Shirt day on Wednesday
- French Day lunch orders need to be in by Wednesday of this week
- No School on Friday, Feb 24
You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
MATHDaily Math Units:Topics Covered this term:multiplication basic facts - be sure to practice each week to improve on your Chocolate Bar Challenge resultsPlace ValueRoundingMultiplesDivisibility RulesFactors
Review pages for all topics can be found below.
CHEMISTRY: What we're working on . . .
Properties of Matter:
Today we explored what happens to the temperature as ice (solid) changes to water (liquid), and as water (liquid) changes to water vapour (gas). To follow up, your assignment is to:
- watch the BrainPop on "States of Matter" AND "Matter Changing State"
- take the Review Quiz and email your results to your teacher (Mrs. Jones or Ms. Carruthers)
Now that you have done some research about your chosen element, you will be creating a poster advertising its importance to the world. Your poster may be hand-drawn or created on the computer. The criteria page for this assignment has been shared to your Google Drive.
Use the link below to watch the BrainPops on
- Periodic Table of Elements
Play the Element game to learn some of the periodic table
Check out the links on the KidZone of the Science Spot for more information about elements
The Periodic Table Videos are awesome! Check them out for some experiments that I can't do in class . . .
Survival Skills main idea page
- read through the handout about Cool Survival Skills
- choose ONE section to re-read
- use the graphic organizer to make notes about the main idea and supporting details for this section
Survivor Profile - complete the profile page using the following criteria
- at least 2 items in each area
- use words AND images
- neatly done (no writing in pencil)
- colour / WOW factor
I AM A SURVIVOR title page
- needs a bold, beautiful title - with colour
- your name
- 2 examples to illustrate YOUR understanding of survival right now
Needs vocabulary worksheet - fill in the information for Physical needs, Psychological needs and Group needs
- copy definition from glossary
- list examples from the book
- either definition or examples are your own/other is copied from the text
- definition in your own words
- examples are unique or creative (your own ideas)