HEAD LICE AWARENESS
Head lice are common in BC communities. Although they are a bother, head lice are not a health risk.
Head lice spread quickly by close, head-to-head contact. Lice cannot live on furniture or carpet, and they cannot jump or fly. There may be few or no symptoms, but itching may occur.
You can help by:
- Checking your child’s head with the wet combing method of detection once a week throughout the year.
- Review the pamphlet: Wet Combing – How to Get Rid of Head Lice, available online, at your school and Public Health Unit.
- Encouraging your child to wear their hair tied back.
- Treating if you notice live lice on your child’s head.
- Reminding family and friends about the importance of routine head checks.
For more information: